Every three-to-four years we’ve been updating the AYC Bylaws to clarify, simplify, and update the document that governs how the club is run. Time to to it again.
On your election ballot this year are various non-controversial changes to the bylaws, including these changes:
- Eliminate the provision requiring publishing the names of people who have not paid renewal dues by mid-August. Time to stop “shaming.”
- Conduct elections by electronic ballot. We’ve actually been doing this for several years. We retain your right to vote by appearing at the election counting spot in person.
- Establish a method for certifying election results and setting a time for the new board to take office.
- Simplify the wording of rules for Board of Directors meetings and allow email votes on routine matters.
- Clarify and simplify the composition and responsibility of the Rules Committee. No actual change compared to how this has been handled forever.
- Simplify the section on appointed committees.
- Considerably simplify the process for amending or changing the bylaws.
The changes were proposed by Junior Staff Commodore Mike Ferring. Commodore Rob Gibbs convened a review committee composed of himself, Emory Heisler, John Mayall, Mike Yarnell, Mike Ferring and Will Zornik, which agreed to the final version. The AYC Board then approved the changes and voted to put them on the ballot.