Here Comes the Birthday Regatta
You can order Saturday night dinner here. Deadline for entry has passed, but you can still register to race with a late fee.
The biggest AYC event of the year is days away, the three-day regatta and maximum party starts on Friday (2/7) with practice in the afternoon and a big Friday night:
- North Sails Clinic – North Sails has joined our Regatta! Don’t miss their Tuning and Trim Clinic on Friday evening. Click here to sign up.
- The Rum Bar will feature drinks from Leukemia Cup sponsor Goslings, and, for the first time, from Curt Naegeli’s North Woods Distillery, located in Coleman, Wisconsin. Before moving out of the area, Curt was an AYC member. Now he’s back for the Birthday Regatta. Watch for his Sunfish with the sail featuring his signature product, Smooth Sailing Rum.
- We’ll fire up the grill to cook burgers and dogs, with side dishes. Beer and wine will also be available.
After sailing on Saturday, don’t miss the year’s best party:
- Dinner and Drinks – Dinner is being provided again this year by Scottsdale’s premier, award winning caterer, Arizona Taste, now in their 30th year. For just $25, they’re providing a delicious $50 dinner menu in support of our Birthday Regatta. Also available: craft beer from Peoria Artisan Brewery, and fine wine from J Dusi Wines in Paso Robles, California.
- Must-see Entertainment – Over dinner guest speaker Onne van der Wal will share photos from the day and discuss the making of “Sailing in America,” his popular new photography book.
- Celebrate our 62nd Birthday with cake and with a little help from our friends – Arizona’s newest maritime band, The Keeltones.
- “Pay it Forward” deals – Go home rich! Buy lots of 50-50 raffle tickets for the big drawing. Then after cake, auctioneer Rowlan Hill will lead our live auction to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Arizona Sailing Foundation and the Arizona Yacht Club. Credit cards will be accepted, so bring them all.
Click here to preview some of the great offers on the auction block this year, including:
- See the Grand Canyon: from the bottom up with a “bucket list” raft trip.
- Relax in the Caribbean: choose from 8 Caribbean vacation packages.
- How about a charter aboard a 42-foot catamaran?
- Golfer? You’ll have two nice golf packages to choose from.
- Bid for an overnight stay at Lon’s Hermosa Inn, one of Arizona’s most romantic destinations.
Check out the competition – Click here for a full list of competitors by fleet. Our birthday regatta will include at least nine fleets:
- Buccaneer 18
- Catalina 22
- Merit 25
- PHRF Non-Spin
- PHRF Spin
- PHRF Sport Boat
- Santana 20
With all this happening, you just gotta regatta – see you at the Lake soon!
Pictured above, The Keeltones, the Regatta’s musical headliner. From left to right: Charlie Joiner (CJ) – an animal on those drums; lead singer Michelangelo Caggiano (a wayward sailor from a secret harbor); guitarist and back-up singer Steve Dolter (C-22 sailor); keyboardist Wayne Powell (New Freedom heat); guitarist Steve Grothe (C-22 sailor); and guitarist Dennis Lynde (former AYC Commodore and member for nearly 50 years). The Keeltones will feature original nautically-themed music by Michelangelo and a well-rounded playlist of your favorite sailing songs. Mamas, don’t let your children grow up to be maritime band musicians!