AYC AWARDS AND HONORS
- AYC Volunteer Service Award – Recognizes a member volunteer for their efforts and commitment to our club.
- AYC Sportsmanship Award – Recognizes a member for their good sportsmanship in sailboat racing.
- Club Racing Champion – The winner of the club’s annual regatta of fleet champions.
- Ruth Beals Cup – Women at the Helm annual Regatta winner.
- Ye Blunder Bucket – A fun, spoof award given twice a year for a worthy blunder.
AYC JUNIOR AWARDS
- Junior Champion – The junior fleet champ.
- Jerry Linderman Award: Most Improved Junior Racer – Given each year in honor of longtime AYC member Jerry Linderman.
- Wayne Jason Tucker Junior Trophy: Most Improved Junior Sailor – Given each year in honor of junior sailor Wayne Jason Tucker. The Junior Sailor must be under the age of 16 years and must be a member of the Arizona Yacht Club.
AYC’S DISTINGUISHED LIFE MEMBERS (Click to view)
In addition, AYC honors members for a lifetime of significant contributions to the club. The Distinguished Life Members* are:
David and Hermine Shapiro (deceased)
Tom (deceased) and Carol Ohlin
Frank (deceased) and Marylou Bigelow
Al and Sandy Lehman
Mike Yarnell and Tia Renshaw
Mike and Maryellen Ferring
*Previously named Honorary Life Members.
ARIZONA SAILING FOUNDATION AWARD
ASF Heavy Lifting Award —The annual thank you to an individual who does the most to help ASF.
NATIONAL RECOGNITION (Click to view)
US Sailing selected AYC Member Bob Naylor for their 2021 One Design Leadership Award. This award recognizes individual initiative, enthusiasm, organizing ability, and leadership in creating an outstanding fleet-building program. Here is what Bob had to say about the award:
“I’m still quite embarrassed with the attention from it, but I’m nonetheless honored and humbled to have been selected to receive U.S. Sailing’s One Design Leadership Award. I’m grateful to Vicki Palmer (International Sunfish Class Association & AYC) for nominating me and to AYC for encouraging the development of our Sunfish Fleet. And most of all, I’m very grateful to all of YOU for making it happen – for turning out and sailing, week in and week out. We all know that sailing in Arizona is TOUGH – some of you drive very long distances to race with us, you risk heat exhaustion and other hazards, and you still make it happen. So, in all sincerity, THANK YOU.”
AWARDS NO LONGER GIVEN (Click to view)
Rahr Trophy (AYC MDR-SD Winner)
Tall Cactus Bean Pot
US Sailing Sportsmanship Award —This award was given annually to a person who’s given huge time and effort for AYC. It predominately recognized volunteer service.