By Heather McClain
This is the unofficial start of the sailing season in Phoenix! Need Crew? Want to crew on a boat?
On Saturday, September 8, from 4-8 pm, we’ll toss a crew party at the end of E dock at Scorpion Bay Marina. The purpose of the event is to be a matchmaker between captains who need crew and crew who want to sail… and to just have a fun time with other sailors or those who are contemplating sailing.
- Bring your boat! Show it off, brag, socialize, and go for a sail to test out crew/boat opportunities.
- We have a few dock-friendly games such as corn hole, horseshoes, board games if you want.
- Bring your own chairs! We have about eight already out there.
- Arizona Yacht Club will serve hot dogs and hamburgers for everyone. Please bring a dish to share and BYOB. Can bring a bag of chips or get fancy. (Please connect with Heather McClain if you want to know more about what to bring, e.g. dessert vs side dish.)
- We will have one electric grill and one electric smoker. No fires on the dock…oh my! You can have whatever grill/stove you want on your boat to add to cooking opportunities or not. Up to you.
- Join the “Dockside Chat” with AYC Commodore Rob Gibbs.
- There are a limited number of slips available for day use and/or overnight rental, please contact Sharon Bell if you are interested in that.
- One boat owner has room on a boat for up to six people to sleep overnight. And there may be other boat owners with available bunks. Just ask if you don’t want to (or can’t) drive home safely.
- The rules of Scorpion Bay are to be respected as there are many boat owners out there. Good neighbor rules apply.
Here’s to a great (and safe) sailing season in Arizona!