If you’re a “Parrothead” or maybe the “Son of a Sailor,” you will want to join us for Opening Day at Lake Pleasant on Saturday, October 7, 2023. Our Rear Commodore Ed Scheletsky is planning a Jimmy Buffett-themed event that will surely be memorable. On shore, we will set up our version of Margaritaville, complete with music, contests, food, and socializing. Yes, there will be prizes!
The mood will be set with a background of JB tunes playing while we’re on shore, and the best part is you’ll probably be able to sing along since most of the world knows the lyrics to these universally loved tropical rock songs.
Be prepared to participate in two contests with the hopes of winning a prize:
- Flip Flop Toss: Can you fling a flip-flop? The longest toss wins! Judges will be present.
- Best Buffett Island-Themed Outfit: Anyone can wear an island shirt to honor JB, but this is a contest, so you might want to take it up a notch to win. See pic ideas.
THE SCHEDULE & MEALS
- 7 am – Breakfast: Joe Motil will serve his famous burritos, coffee, and OJ
- 10 am – Skippers Meeting and kick off with firing of the canon
- 12:30 to 4:00 pm – Racing
- 5:00 – Dinner: There will be no “Cheeseburgers in Paradise” because Grill Master Chris Reinhard will serve up Steaks, Salmon, Grilled Chicken and Chicken Kabobs on AYC’s new grill. There will also be a Baked Potato Bar with all the fixings and Gary Eagle’s famous baked beans. And a surprise dessert.
- Water, soft drinks, margarita mix and garnish will be provided. (Bring your own TEQUILA!).
Non-Lake Pleasant racing AYC members, please let us know if you’ll be attending the after-race social and dinner by filling out this quick form (no login).
There is no need to be an LP racer to attend. All AYC members are invited! This is a great event for new members, and the dinner will be worth the drive.
“Come Monday,” when you head back to whatever awaits, you may find yourself singing or humming a JB tune because, like eight of his albums, this will be a “certified gold” weekend of sailing and camaraderie at Lake Pleasant.
“Sail on Sailor,” the racing season has begun!