Join the ASF Certified Instructor Team! The US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 Sailing Instructor Certification Course covers classroom and on-the-water teaching techniques, risk management, safety, lesson planning, creative activities, ethics, and sports physiology and psychology. In addition to preparing you to teach sailing, it’s guaranteed to sharpen your sailing skills.
If you are already a US Sailing certified instructor or even if you just want to VOLUNTEER and lend a hand, CLICK HERE here to contact ASF to get involved.
US Sailing Level 1 Instructor Certification in-person classes are offered semi-annually in Arizona and elsewhere around the USA. Contact ASF for Reimbursement Rules.
HOW TO BECOME A US SAILING CERTIFIED LEVEL 1 INSTRUCTOR
If you are interested in joining our certified instructor team, here’s the process:
- Register for the online class components. See the SUMMARY below for costs and the approximate time required to complete all the course components.
- Register for the in-person class after registering for the online class.
- The online components must be completed BEFORE ATTENDING the in-person class.
ASF periodically hosts Level 1 Instructor classes locally, and they are also held around the country. See US Sailing website HERE to search for Level 1 Instructor IN-PERSON dates and locations. Your registration fees may* be reimbursed by ASF.
And don’t wait! US Sailing recommends that instructor candidates complete the ONLINE components within three (3) months before their in-person class. Also, candidates MUST complete the 3-day IN PERSON components within one year after completing the online classes.
ONLINE components include:
– Safe Boating course approved by the NASBLA (4-8 hours) – free
– US Sailing Teaching and Coaching Fundamentals (90 minutes) – $10
– US Sailing SafeSport Training for Student-Athlete Safety (2 hours) – free
– US Sailing Level 1 Instructor self-guided training (6 hours) $125
IN-PERSON components include:
– Level 1 Instructor hands-on evaluation (3 days) – $300
– First Aid / CPR (hosted periodically by ASF) – free to instructors.
MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT
All candidates must have reached their 16th birthday within the calendar year the course is being held. Students under 18 years of age who complete the course will be designated as a Sailing Assistant until their 18th birthday.
The total registration cost for all the online and in-person components is $435, plus US Sailing membership.
ASF will reimburse 100% of certification registration fees (excluding US Sailing membership) for sailors that earn certification AND instruct at least two classes in the 12 months following their certification. Travel fees are not reimbursable.
USSAILING.ORG: Course Details Links:
• Course Length
• Minimum Age Requirement
• Prerequisites for entrance into the course
• Requirements for successful completion of the course
• Course outcomes
• Course Materials
• Validation of Level 1 Small Boat Sailing Instructors
• Course Fees
• US Sailing Course Cancellation Policy