Your Board continues to evaluate the guidance from Federal, State, and Local governments regarding the Coronavirus outbreak to determine what we, as a club, can safely do to continue to promote sailing in the local community.
We have come to the conclusion that we will cancel the rest of the Spring 2020 Racing Season. The Racing Fleet Captain, Mike Hester, and the Rules Committee (the other Fleet Captains) will determine how this year’s Club Championship will be decided, but the Championship Race will at least be postponed. Tall Cactus is also cancelled. Our Happy Hour gatherings are canceled until further notice.
We are working with a new speaker for our April Membership Meeting and potentially trying to hold that virtually. Please stay tuned for information about that.
The Commodore’s Celebration has not currently been canceled, but we are not going to open registration until it is clear that we can safely hold this event.
This is the information that led to these decisions:
- The Federal guidance on social distancing has been extended until the end of April:
- Gov Ducey has issued guidance that Arizonans should “stay-at-home” this week asking people to only go out for “essential activities.”
- Maricopa County Parks and Recreation has canceled Special Use Permits through the end of April.
- Tempe has issued additional, more restrictive closures throughout the Tempe Parks Systems.
Your Board appreciates your understanding and support. Please stay safe and do what it takes to stay healthy to sail another day.